As one of the nation’s leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
This position is responsible for: Providing, under the general direction of the Therapist in Charge or Assistant Director of Respiratory Care, all routine and emergency respiratory care in all patient care areas. The respiratory therapists provide clinical direction for respiratory care trainees and technicians. The therapists provide consultation and education to other healthcare professionals as well. The therapist is in routine contact with patients during the provision of hands-on care and in frequent contact with patients’ families. The respiratory therapist will have contact with other hospital staff, such as nurses and physicians.
1.Verify all physician orders for respiratory care. and provide age and developmental-appropriate care to infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
2.Assess patients clinically and evaluate for appropriateness of therapy.
3. Provide aerosolized medication therapy, provide airway clearance therapies , airway management such as trach changes, tube taping, suctioning, medical gas therapy., ventilator setup and management., perform non-invasive monitoring, i.e., pulse oximetry, transcutaneous O2/CO2 and end-tidal CO2 monitoring, assist with in-house and inter-facility transports.
4. Provide emergency respiratory care, i.e., airway management and cardiopulmonary resuscitation, perform arterial blood gas sampling, point of care testing and electrocardiograms., participate in airway management during bronchoscopies.
5. Document care provided, patient assessment and patient care orders in electronic medical record (EMR) or hard copy when necessary. Enter charges in EMR
6. Participate in discharge planning and home-care education by training patients, their families, and designated care providers.
7. Provide recommendations and education to physicians and nurses regarding respiratory care.
8. Participate in the evaluation or respiratory care equipment and procedures and maintain current knowledge about departmental policies and procedures.
1. Graduate of educational program for Respiratory Care accredited by an A.A.R.C.-recognized agency.
2. Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in respiratory science, health/physical sciences, or equivalent , with coursework in chemistry, anatomy, physiology, physics, algebra, and microbiology is required.
3. Bachelor of Science preferred.
4. Minimum six (12) months in a critical care setting.
Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
1. Successful completion of the C.R.T. examination administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care and/or active certification by the N.B.R.C. is required within one (1) year after employment.
2. Active Delaware license is required.
3. Active registry by the N.B.R.C. and/or successful completion of the R.R.T. Examination administered by the N.B.R.C. is preferred.
4. Active Basic Life Support certification is required within six (6) months after employment.
5. Current certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support is preferred.
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.
Nemours is committed to improving the health of children. As a non-profit children’s health organization, we consider the health of every child to be a sacred trust. Through family-centered care in our children’s hospitals and clinics in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Florida, as well as world-changing research, education and advocacy, Nemours fulfills the promise of a healthier tomorrow for all children — even those who may never enter our doors. Nemours began more than 70 years ago with the vision of Alfred I. duPont to improve the lives of children and to do whatever it takes to prevent and treat even the most disabling childhood conditions. Today, through our children’s hospitals and health system, we directly care for 250,000 children annually in Delaware Valley and Florida, including families who travel from across the country and world to see our specialists — treating every child as we would our own. We also reach beyond the walls of our hospitals and clinics to be a voice for children on a national and international level, and to lead the way in prevention, intervention, education, and research. Nemours is growing to better serve the children and families in our ca...re. We have 1.1 million square feet of space currently devoted to providing children’s healthcare or under construction, all designed with significant input and advice from our patients and families.
We believe that good health is the cornerstone of progress. We are firm in our resolve to make exemplary health care accessible and affordable to all, dedicated to lowering the high rate of cardiovascular disease, including stroke, in minority populations and committed to advocacy and diversity. We are guided by ethical principles in all transactions and strive for excellence in our training and skills.