MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2019 Americaï¿½s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under general supervision of Charge Nurse or a Registered Nurse and according to established Emergency Department policies and procedures, maintains appropriate level of supplies and cleaning of equipment for the Emergency Department. Assists with observation and moving and restraining of patients as necessary. Provides emergency services to adult, geriatric, and pediatric patients as instructed. Also transports patients or specimens to appropriate departments. Ensures quality and safe delivery of care to patients in the following age groups: All ages; Neonate; Infancy; Toddler; Preschool; School age; Adolescent; Adult; Geriatric.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists with patient care: transports patients; performs stat duties as situations necessitate; performs EKG's as needed, appropriately placing electrodes and securing a hard copy of the patient's permanent record and assuring it is properly marked with patient's name and number; takes patient's pulse ox and/or vital signs, referring problems to nursing staff as situation necessitates. Assists with positioning and/or moving patients from stretchers to wheelchairs. Assists in the restraining of patients, using the team approach (Department of Public Health Guidelines). Also responsible for the observation of disruptive patients in restraints, watching for escalation of behavior. (This is required by law by the Department of Public Health.) Assists with other patient care as required. Applies Nasal Cannula Oxygen as directed by RN, obtains specimens, such as urine, as directed, performs bedside testing and quality control, also performs noninvasive oxygen saturations and peak flow measurements on patients in need of respiratory readings, performs visual acuities as directed. Makes up stretchers and beds as necessary. Maintains area in clean and orderly condition, following all sterile procedures. Observes universal precautions as required. Performs phlebotomy duties as needed, following all sterile procedures and proper labeling techniques. At all times observes patient for negative reactions and takes appropriate measures to allay patient anxiety. Disposes of used needles or equipment according to established safety procedures.
2. Each shift is responsible for stocking the Emergency Department supply areas and for checking equipment and cleaning or sterilizing as necessary. Performs other related duties as needed. Maintains and ensures adequate and appropriate levels of supplies or equipment at all times.
3. Transports specimens to appropriate lab area as needed. Obtains supplies from Distribution, Central Supply, Medical Records, or Dietary as required by shift procedures for the Department.
4. Assists with other duties, such as answering telephones and/or other patients related duties as needed.
5. May assist with resuscitation of patients as situation necessitates under direction of RN.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1. The level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of a High School Diploma with specialized courses in phlebotomy procedures, formal training for the team approach to patient intervention, EKG training, and basic training for vital signs and related patient care. Yearly certification required. CPR certification required.
2. Minimum of 6 months' experience as an Emergency Technician or related experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Patient care environment. Exposure to patient elements and body fluids during the course of work. Frequent lifting, pushing, and moving of equipment and supplies weighing 20-30 pounds. Also lifting and moving of patients in difficult positions. May stand for long periods of time while assisting with patients. May work in unusual or difficult positions while obtaining tests, blood work, etc., on patients.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the job.
Job: Nursing Assistants and PCA
Primary Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Nights
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 2005023156
About MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.
We believe that good health is the cornerstone of progress. We are firm in our resolve to make exemplary health care accessible and affordable to all, dedicated to lowering the high rate of cardiovascular disease, including stroke, in minority populations and committed to advocacy and diversity. We are guided by ethical principles in all transactions and strive for excellence in our training and skills.