JOB SUMMARY: Supports the licensed healthcare team in performing the patient check-in process by organizing and managing clinic patient flow, obtaining and documenting patient screening data, and communication with patient's health care team.
Directs and supports patient flow as well as unit operations by maintaining supplies, equipment, and unit environmental standards.
Excellent patient care and customer service.
Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs.
Performs/assists with procedures according to organizational/departmental standards. (Phlebotomy)
Collects and documents patient screening data for the healthcare team.
Assists with patient and family education.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Monday - Friday; 8am - 4:30pm
A typical shift for our staff includes working with a vast array of patient populations. One shift may be in the Newborn Nursery caring for healthy infants, while the next shift could be in our Myelosuppression Unit caring for a child who has recently undergone a Bone Marrow Transplant. Our staff has a diversity of experience and are always willing to share their knowledge with others.
Our care partners float to all areas of the hospital and most are cross-trained as medical receptionists and can cover either job. In addition to their regular duties our care partners maintain a competency to perform EKG's after hours and cover this function throughout the hospital.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
CLINICAL COMPETENCIES (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency to assist and perform clinical care including but not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen collection and point of care testing as directed by unit standards.
CLINICAL PATIENT DOCUMENTATION (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate patient documentation in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments. Contributes to the nursing assessment by collecting, reporting, and recording objective and subjective data in an accurate and timely manner.
ENVIRONMENT OF CARE (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency with set up and maintenance of patient exam room, supplies and equipment.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Demonstrates ability to anticipate basic resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for own assignments and responsibilities. Appropriately matches equipment, and capital resources to task demands. Prepares and presents clear and accurate status reports on projects and assignments.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.
We believe that good health is the cornerstone of progress. We are firm in our resolve to make exemplary health care accessible and affordable to all, dedicated to lowering the high rate of cardiovascular disease, including stroke, in minority populations and committed to advocacy and diversity. We are guided by ethical principles in all transactions and strive for excellence in our training and skills.